Friday, January 16, 2009

#6 The Gospel Of John - A faithful retelling of the gospel according to the Apostle John. What sets John apart from other gospels, John's is a about a much more personal relationship Jesus had with his disciples and with other people. I always was intrigued by Jesus' first miracle where he turned water into to wine. His words were to his mother, "It is not my time." But he does it anyways. Watching this story unfold has a different perspective than if we were simply told the story. His mother doesn't have to be told no. The look on her face and on Jesus' tells us that Jesus would do anything for his mother, because she simply asked. I might be a bit theologically off, but there's much that a movie can portray that a story can not.

#7 Hiroshima Mon Amour - As part of a podcast I'm listening about existentialism, this movie is one of the required materials for the course. Although the connection didn't appear as naturally as I would assume, it was a good movie standing alone by itself. I love these types of love stories and I often thought about writing my own based on the premise of a one-night-stand that becomes the best thing that could have happened to someone. This movie is just such a movie. Suspending the ethical implications of a one-night-stand (which is where the existentialism comes in), the lead character receives healing from a past lover whom she identifies with her current fling. It's French New Wave cinema, one genre a film I'd like to dig into deeper having seen such classics as A Band A Parte and Breathless.

No comments: