Friday, January 23, 2009

The Oscars Are Upon Us

#13 Klute - I saw this one as part of my Neo-Noir craze. I haven't really seen much of Jane Fonda's early work (I mean the 60's stuff). This movie is '71 so it's the youngest Jane Fonda film I've seen to date. Having never really seen Barbarella, I never did equate Jane Fonda with sexy until this movie. I guess I'm going to have to see Barbarella after all.

This is Oscar weekend for me. In honor of the nominations being announced, I plan on watching no less than eight Oscar nominated movies this weekend. It will be the first time I have seen all the movies in the eight major categories. This weekend I plan on watching the remainder.

It's a bit of a game for me when it comes Oscar time. And I've been quiet successful at it. Two years ago I went 5-for-7 (for some reason I didn't bother predicting adapted screenplay) and last year I went 6-for-8. And I've successfully predicted the best picture three years in a row.

After seeing the nominations, I can't help but feel it has been a weak year for movies. Of the five up for best picture, none them I feel strongly enough toward to get behind. Which makes my bid to get best picture correct even tougher. Three years ago, Crash blew me away. Two years ago, Departed was an awesome movie. Last year, No Country For Old Men, although the ending threw me for a loop, I knew it was a brilliant movie. This year, none of the nominees really moved me. Not even Slumdog.

Next time I write, I should have a crop of movies to discuss. I'm already feeling a bit burnt out on my new years resolution to writing more here. I figured I'd stick with it through the month of January and then break the resolution in February, like most resolutions.

No comments: